You have broken away from the planetary brain!

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Hey, Nice Package.

After I posted yesterday's entry about the Via Vision Blu-rays from 2020, DJS reminded me that Kino Lorber released NEW editions of their 2018 Blu-rays (very recently, in fact... August 23rd of this year). Now wait, before you get excited---- there's NOTHING actually new to be found here, in fact.... these are actually a downgrade from the originals.

2022 editions.









The specs are identical: you're getting the same exact 11 discs (7 for season one and 4 for season two). Now, I'm assuming that the Season Two set has the corrected version of Disc 1--- in its original release, the episode "Soldier" had about eight minutes of badly distorted audio (go here for a video illustrating the issue). Kino did ultimately step up and offer replacement discs by mail... but man, I sincerely hope they don't repeat the 2018 debacle by slipping in some back stock of the affected discs. They wouldn't do that... right?

2018 editions.








Okay, there are two significant differences between the 2018 and 2022 versions. First and foremost, the discs are now housed in standard Blu-ray cases instead of those flappy 'n flimsy Digipack monstrosities. The pic above doesn't fully illustrate their horribleness, so here are my copies, splayed out in all their ugly glory:

The horror! THE HORROR!!

Those welcome standard Blu-ray cases are stuffed into what appear to be the same cardboard slipcases from 2018... well almost, but not quite. The MGM logo on the spine is different, and the product ID number below said logo is different (The 2018 editions are K21746 and K21748, respectively, while the 2022 editions are K25911 and K25912). This tells us that they didn't just swap out the Digipacks for standard disc cases... they did a whole new run of modified slipcases, apparently just to change those extremely small details (I haven't seen the backs of the new slipcases, so maybe there's some changes there too). This also means that the new editions are slimmer by almost 50%---- the combined 2018 editions are roughly the width of six standard cases, and the combined 2022 editions contain a total of three standard cases. So hey, I guess they take up less room, if nothing else.

But these are cosmetic matters. The REAL difference is the fact that the booklets, which included episode guides and essays by DJS himself, have been omitted. This is severely disappointing for several reasons, but one stings particularly badly for Yours Truly---- Schow name-dropped THIS VERY BLOG in both booklets (TWICE in the one for Season Two!). This seems to be a growing trend in Blu-ray releases from boutique labels: they'll pack in a limited edition booklet with the first run of a given title, then drop it for future pressings. So there is at least a precedent for this practice... but dammit, I don't have to like it.

When the separate season sets were released in 2018, there was some internet grousing about the lack of a Complete Series offering (which, as reported yesterday, Via Vision rectified rather spectacularly with their 2020 release Down Under). In that light, these new Kino editions are more than a bit perplexing. The *only* thing they would've needed to do differently is make a slightly larger slipcase (again, they were already making new slipcases anyway), and voila! A Complete Series set to appease the masses. But you know what? If all they were doing was chucking the Digipacks (which do cost more than standard cases), they could've forewent the slipcase entirely and put all 11 discs into a single case. CBS Home Video did this with their Twilight Zone Complete Series reissue in 2016, and that thing has 24 discs... in a single case!













I'm being a bit facetious here--- those cases are a goddamn NIGHTMARE (and presumably cost even less than standard cases; if they don't, they fucking should). But I do think that combining both seasons into a single release would've increased sales at least somewhat... but you know what? They could've kicked things up a notch higher. Or two. Or ten.

They could've licensed Via Vision's exclusive content, for starters (detailed yesterday); beyond that, they could've dragged the OLCC (Outer Limits Commentary Crew, not Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission) out of semi-retirement for some all new tracks. And I would LOVE the opportunity to put together a video supplement detailing the various home video releases over the years (I have some, ahem, experience creating Blu-ray documentary featurettes, which Kino knows better than anyone because I'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR THEM FOR THE PAST YEAR). Don't get me wrong, I love Kino Lorber... but they passed on a positively golden opportunity to improve on their previous effort and create a truly remarkable, all-encompassing definitive edition---- which I suspect a fair number of customers would have been happy to upgrade to. I mean, they do wanna make money, right?

I dunno, I guess they could still do it. These reissues may simply be an attempt to unload their remaining disc stock. Hey, a man can hope against logic, right?



* I can't stop thinking about the "Soldier" issue. I'm not sure I'll rest until I verify that the corrected disc is in fact the one in the 2022 reissue of Season Two. There's one sure way to find out, but... aw geez, should I...? 

Okay, it may be the Bloody Mary I had a bit earlier forcing my hand here, but I just pulled the trigger on both 2022 editions (because I'm both an obsessive completist and a fucking idiot, plus I'm now the unofficial custodian of the history of The Outer Limits on home video... which I'll explain in an upcoming entry). I'll report back when they arrive. Keep your fingers crossed, gang.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up Craig. Please keep us posted as to 'Soldier'... I have the 2018 release and missed the opportunity for a replacement disc. I didn't even know they were being offered! (I had a lot of things going on in 2018 so I didn't actually get around to even begin watching the blu-rays of TOL until 2020.) Also - if that ViaVision set gets re-released, I'm there! Bummed I missed out on that.

    ReplyDelete