You have broken away from the planetary brain!

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Via Positiva

On July 6, 2019, I had the honor of appearing on Victor Gamboa’s wonderful Outer Limits podcast, where he grilled me at length about my blogs, podcast, and Outer Limits Blu-ray commentaries. We had a great chat, which you can hear for yourself here. The conversation felt (to me, at least) like a kind of summation on that third item… the work was done, both season sets had been released, we’d been honored with a Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award, and… that was it. Hashing it out with Victor seemed to place a nice marker at the end of eight years of exploring my beloved Outer Limits. It was time to rest.

Ha! cackles the universe. 

A mere six weeks later, DJS notified me that the Australian label Via Vision was planning their own Outer Limits Blu-ray release Down Under, licensing Kino’s supplements in the process. This presented an interesting opportunity to make the supplemental package even more robust (no mean feat, given the extensive treasure trove already extant). He had a couple of new pieces brewing, including The Unknown Unknown, a fascinating glimpse into a newly-discovered early draft of Joseph Stefano’s “The Forms of Things Unknown” teleplay that includes an actual monster (or bear, in Outer Limits parlance, which is referred to as, simply, The Form; you can read this version in From the Inner Mind to... the Outer Limits Scripts of Joseph Stefano, Volume 1, edited by Dave Rash for Gauntlet Press). 

But DJS wasn’t stopping there. He wanted to provide even more exclusive content in the form of... that’s right, kids: more audio commentaries, which would be grafted onto the existing Kino disc masters. We’d do a total of three: Film historian and audio commentator of renown Tim Lucas would provide a new track for “The Hundred Days of the Dragon” (to compliment Dr. Reba’s Wissner’s existing track), and DJS and I would join forces for “The Architects of Fear” and “The Man Who Was Never Born” (both of which already had tracks by Gary Gerani). Why didn’t we cover episodes that didn’t get commentaries the first time around? Valid question, that. As I recall, Lucas had already expressed a desire to explore “Hundred Days,” and... hell, he’s Tim Lucas, so he can basically call his own shots. And it goes without saying that both "Architects” and “Man/Born” are two of the greatest---- if not the greatest--- episodes of the entire series, so both were/are absolutely worthy of additional exploration. So that was the plan, to be executed over the following few months. 

So that was mid-August. About a month later (September 13, 2019), Kino took home another prestigious honor--- this time the coveted Saturn Award, which is presented annually by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films, who had deemed the Outer Limits Blu-rays worthy of the Best DVD or Blu-ray Television Movie or Series Release (2018-2019) prize.  

Look at that thing! Gorgeous.  

So over the next couple of months DJS and I did some preliminary work on our new tracks for Via Vision, and I found myself increasingly doubtful that I could actually pull it off. See, he’s a natural at this kind of thing---- delivering what amounts to a casual lecture with nothing more than a sheaf of notes to periodically glance at--- but me? I need to script everything out in advance, pre-timed down to the second, without improvised comments and nothing off-the-cuff. It seemed daunting (if not downright impossible) to somehow marry our disparate approaches successfully, so he graciously agreed that we'd tackle the tracks separately--- he’d do “The Architects of Fear” and I’d take “The Man Who Was Never Born,” each of us armed with whatever notes the other had assembled thus far. And I’ve gotta say--- we made the right choice. Schow’s "Architects” track is nothing short of stellar, and my “Man/Born” effort.... well, it might be my best Outer Limits track of the eight I’ve done (or it is nine? Stay tuned). And Schow and I would get the chance to record together... but we’ll get into that in a couple of weeks. 

Via Vision’s Outer Limits release came out in June 2020, and it wasn’t split up in season chunks---- they gave us the whole enchilada in one Complete Series set, with a gorgeous glossy hard box holding it all together. As great as Kino’s efforts were, THIS stands as the ultimate home video presentation of the series. It's nothing short of spectacular. The moment I first held it in my hands, I was momentarily taken back to the earliest days of my Outer Limits fandom, when I was first amassing those beautiful VHS editions, then thrust forward in a heady rush through multiple unsatisfactory DVD editions, standard-def Hulu streams, and finally into the realm of high definition. With the Via Vision set, I felt a tingling and satisfying sense of completion (not that kind, ya perv). I remember how acquiring the Twilight Zone Blu-rays had felt like a cosmic reward of sorts, after decades of buying and rebuying the series. This was that all over again. I don't know what the future of home video looks like---- 4K is obviously a thing, and we're seeing some really great releases... but streaming continues to nip at physical media's heels, and it seems unlikely that classic television will ever make the leap to 4K. And if it never happens... well, this Via Vision set will do nicely. Better than nicely, actually. Honestly, it's better treatment than I ever thought I'd see The Outer Limits receive. It's been over two years, and I still gaze lovingly at it on a regular basis.

The Via Vision set is marked as Region B, but fear not, domestic cats: the discs play just fine in a standard Blu-ray player. However, the set is unfortunatetly out of print (which happens when highly-desirable items such as this are limited to 1500 copies). It appears there are still some DVD copies available, but the Blu-rays are sold out. I heard a vague rumor that Via Vision may do a second run at some point, but there’s nothing concrete as of this entry. I’ll try to report it here if/when it becomes official, just in case any of you wants/needs this exemplary collection in your possession (and trust me, if you’re reading this blog, you most definitely DO). 


Next time: Hey, Nice Package. 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely. I hasten to point out, though, that Kino-Lorber RE-released their Blu-ray sets this year as a two-box all in one ... less the booklet(s). (DJS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOPSY, I fucked it up again. They rereleased both seasons again, but not packaged together. (DJS)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this should be addressed. See next post.

      Delete
  3. The ViaVision set aside - which I really want, so I hope they do decide to do another run, as it sounds like the definitive TOL release (or as near as we're going to get) - the Gauntlet book of TOL scripts is big news for me (and has very swiftly been ordered). Outside of enlightened fan circles, Joseph Stefano is not really accorded the status he ought to have as a writer, so this book goes a small way to rectifying that. Really looking forward to reading. Please keep us acolytes appraised of any news for a Vol. 2!

    ReplyDelete